Educational Healthy News

We provide authentic educational and healthy news

Explainer: How to Migrate to Canada by Express Entry

Migrate to CanadaMigrate to Canada

Explainer: How to Migrate to Canada by Express Entry

Are you a skilled worker dreaming of living and working in Canada? Do you wish to migrate to Canada without scholarship?


Migration to Canada is a dream come true for most individuals from developing countries. In next two years, the Canadian Government will be welcoming more than 1.3 million foreign immigrants to the country.


In this article, we will explain the steps and processes required to migrate to Canada via the process known as Express Entry.


How does the express entry to Canada work?

The Express Entry enables you to live and work as a skilled worker in Canada. Skilled labour such as welding, carpentry, barbing, babysitting, caregiving, tailoring, plumbing, chef, waiter are known to be in high demand in Canada.


The express entry scheme allows immigrants who are skilled and/or possess the relevant qualifications under federal economic immigration programs to be actively assessed, before being recruited, and selected.


According to the Canadian Immigration, There are 3 immigration programs managed through Express Entry:

1. Canadian Experience Class

  • for skilled workers who have Canadian work experience
  • work experience must have been gained in the 3 years before you apply.


2. Federal Skilled Worker Program

  • for skilled workers with foreign work experience
  • must meet criteria for education and other factor


3. Federal Skilled Trades Program 

  • for skilled workers who are qualified in a skilled trade
  • must have a valid job offer or a certificate of qualification.

Steps Involved In Getting The Express Entry

1. Determine your eligibility by doing the (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) CIC quiz

There are 2 ways to find out if you’re eligible for a program that is part of Express Entry:


2. Proceed to sit for the Language Tests

To be eligible, you must get at least: CLB 7 in each of the four sections for the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW), Provincial Nomination Program (PNP) or Canadian Experience Class (CEC) streams. But getting CLB 10 gives you maximum points for language. More details on how the CLB match back to the language tests are found here.


To be invited, you need to have a score above the minimum points score for your round of invitations. You should use the CRS tool to estimate your score.


3. Get your non-Canadian qualifications assessed by doing an Education Credential Assessment.

An Educational credential assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, or certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian one. There are different types of ECAs. You need to get an ECA for immigration purposes. If you got another type of ECA, you may be able to get it re-issued, depending on the type of ECA and/or issuing organization.

4. Determine the code that best applies to you on the National Occupation Classification (NOC) list

The immigration programs use the NOC to decide if a job or type of work experience meets their eligibility. We consider “skilled” jobs those with NOC Skill Type 0, A or B. We assess jobs against the 2016 version of the NOC.


5. Create your Express Entry profile and register for the Job Bank

With the CSR, you will be given points based on your age, education, number of years work experience, and language skills.


Immigrants with families and spouse are eligible for extra points. Of course, the more points you have the better. The max is 1200, with 600 of those points coming from your ability to snag a PNP or a job offer with a very hard to get Labour Market Impact Assessment.


For CEC applicants: Max CSR is 600, but someone who has no work experience in Canada who is only eligible for FSW can only get up to 520 points. More details are found here.


Migrate to Canada
Migrate to Canada


6. Get an invitation and apply

Finally, wait for your invitation to apply (ITA). But in the interim you will need to do the following:
  • Contact previous and current employers about them providing job letters. You must have at least 12 months of full-time, or an equal amount in part-time, skilled work experience. Full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week. Work experience while you were a full-time student does not count. 
  • Research cities in the province(s) where you want to live.

To learn more about the Express Entry mode of migration, Please visit the Canada Immigration and Citizenship website.

About The Author

Join our social media platforms

Join us for regular updates on:

Join WhatsApp or Join Telegram